Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Southern Style Biscuits



Southern Style Biscuits

Since I was a military wife I had the pleasure of traveling around and living in different parts of the country and the world. I picked up a few recipes in my travels that remind me of that place and that time. I lived in the south for about a ten year time span and biscuits were a staple. Good southern style biscuits were a requirement I’ll tell ya no matter what southern state you lived in. After we decided to move to Maine from Alabama I knew I had to master biscuit making! I was right because I am sad to report you can’t get a decent biscuit in Maine anywhere. At least not where I looked.

Biscuits in gravy are EXTREMELY frugal. Not to mention good. I like to double this recipe, and add some eggs, cheese and maybe a sausage patty to a dozen or so. I make up some awesome sausage, egg and cheese biscuits wrap them in wax paper and pop them in the freezer. Now my family has a readymade breakfast, which is good for you. Not to mention it will cost tons less than the readymade stuff found in your grocers freezer!

OK so enough already it is time to bake, so here is my Southern Style Biscuits recipe:

2 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons butter softened
1 cup buttermilk (cold) or use regular milk and add a couple teaspoons of white vinegar.


Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. I put all of these in my standing mixer (Thank you Granny!) Then give it a stir. Then I added the butter in bits the size of a tablespoon. Turn your mixer on and let it mix for a while, I started my casserole that I was serving with it. I did not use the dough hook,could not find the little guy but it worked out just fine.



Or if you don’t have a mixer use your fingertips, rub butter and shortening into dry ingredients until mixture looks like crumbs or corn meal. You can also use a fork too, by pressing against the sides of the bowl.

The mixer is the fastest, and time is prime in my Mommy world!

Once it is mixed either add your buttermilk slowly to the mixing bowl with your standing mixer on its lowest speed. Or make a well in the center and pour in the chilled buttermilk and stir. Either way don’t mix or stir too long, just until you have sticky dough. It will get on your little helper's hands!


Turn dough onto floured surface, dust top with flour and turn over a couple times. Roll out to a bit over 1 inches and cut with biscuit cutter or cup or glass the same size around as a normal biscuit. Put on a baking sheet, and they can touch it is fine. I like to double this recipe, so I used two large baking sheets or cookie sheets. When you are re-rolling out the scraps to make the remainder biscuits try to work them as little as possible so your biscuits stay fluffy.
Bake until biscuits golden brown on top or about 10 to 15 minutes.

Biscuits all gussied up for Breakfast on the go!


Sausage, egg and cheese biscuit wrapped in wax paper ready for freezer bag.

Just pop them in the microwave for about 30 seconds or less and you are ready to eat!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for the great comments, I always appreciate them. This is a family blog, and some folks seem to forget that so I had to ad word verification to keep spam at bay and moderate all comments to remove adult content that is unwelcome on my blog. Thanks for your understanding.